RSS Feed

The Fool on the Hill

February 3, 2017 by Holly Patricia Marshall   

I’m not going to lie to you: the thought of a solo performance absolutely terrifies me.

If you’d told me at the start of my first year here, that I’d be doing something so self indulgent as a solo performance module, I would have laughed at you in the face.

But why not?

Surely working and coming out of my comfort zone is a key step to take in my university journey. I might discover things that I can do that I’d never dreamt of being able to do. Who knows?

Sarah Millican, Queen of stand up, famously said: “People were laughing at me anyway, so I thought, ‘Fuck it, I might as well charge them.’” and you know what, I share the same ethos….except, “I might as well get a good experience” from it.

I love music.

The Beatles, The Smiths, Mystery Jets, COASTS, The Rolling Stones, The Macabees, Alt-J.

I’m from Hull.

The UK City of Culture 2017.

I want to include things about me. What speaks to me, what I like, what it’s like to be me.

Of course, there are my downfalls but in my opinion, we need to look at the silver linings of the clouds when they cover the sun. I want it to be uplifting, for people, my audience, to have a few minutes out of their day where they can appreciate life, and the way that I pronounce my O’s.

I can’t wait to see what the future will bring.

Bring it on.

1 Comment »

1. Martin Curtis says:

OK, really interesting material. The Diary is very usable and should be used but I wonder if reading out is the right way. Hull, you may have said! Blue is another idea/melancholia. Reminds me of Tracey Thorn from Hull who sang in a group,’Everything but the Girl’now writes for New Statesman.A line,’I miss you like a desert misses rain’ (I think they stole this from a letter between Chekhov and his actress girlfriend Olga Knipper, they were drama students)Philip Larkin? Good material, find a structure now to work from. M x